Pool Care Tips
Champion Pool & Spa Supply has a number of useful tips to keep your pool crystal clear. Just follow these simple steps:
- The general rule of thumb is to run a pool pump for 1 hour per 10 degrees of air temperature. Here’s some examples:
- If the average weather temperature is 90 degrees for that month, you should be running your single speed pump for 9 hours a day.
- The total number of hours that the pump is run does not have to be consecutive. During Summer time, run the pump while the sun is hitting the water or the hottest part of the day. During Winter, run during the coldest hours of the day to avoid any equipment damage.
- 2-speed pumps should run the same way a single speed should except having the high speed on during the hottest or coldest hours of the day/night.
- Variable speed pumps can run up 24 hours a day. (they are super energy efficient! If you haven’t upgraded your pump system, Champion is here to help. We install variable speed pumps all the time!) Be sure your programming is set to have high speed kick on for a few hours during the hottest or coldest hours of the day/night just like the single and 2-speed pumps.
- For proper water balance & sanitation, we recommended bringing in a water sample to Champion Pool & Spa Supply every two weeks during “Season” or as needed. During “Off Season” a sample should be brought in once a month. Remember…professional advice & water testing is ALWAYS FREE at Champion.
- Shocking your pool or spa on a regular basis (once a week during Summer & as needed during Winter) is important in maintaining proper water balance & sanitation efficiency.
- pH balance is crucial in pool water chemistry! Keeping your pool as close to 7.4 on the pH scale is the best for pools & spas and for swimmer comfort. Testing the water frequently at home with either a drop-test kit or test strips will help you keep up with the ever-changing pH balance of your water. Champion Pool & Spa Supply has a cutting edge water lab that will provide an extremely accurate test of your water chemistry, including pH balance & recommendations.
- Water care is a year-round activity, the experts at Champion Pool & Spa Supply can help guide you all year long!